Thursday 29 January 2015

The Completions of Clandestine Draft One

Hello Readers.

So I have some big news! On January 27th 11:50 I finished draft one of my first ever novel Clandestine! Yes, this is the first book for me ever to complete writing. Even better the fact that I finished it 10 minutes before midnight! Wooo!

My reaction to this was just staring at the screen and thinking, "well...I got a heck of a lot of work ahead of me.." But I'm done. That's all that matters at this point.
Over that last day or two I have been cleaning it up a bit, and turning all the more cuss words into Latin. (It's really fun to try and say Latin words with force...)

I have spent about three months working on the first draft. I wrote the 50k of it over November for NaNoWriMo. And the remaining 15k over the holiday period. I am now resting at 65k. Which is really good for a first draft. (at least I think)

I have spent such a long time inside my character's head. Walking her world, and doing things that I would never have done in real life. Lets just say I have learned a lot. And seeing that the plot went in a completely different direction.

I owe it all to  my characters. They lead me through the whole way. All I could do was be dragged along behind. The joys of being a writer...I just got no say in what was happening. And catch myself yelling at them "Listen to me will you?!" and they're just like "No way!"

(Picture looks like my MC Iris) 

The plan is now to print it off and start doing the whole crazy highlighter thing. But it will be fun to read my work on paper. Cause for the past three months all I have seen is the story on screen. I like the story. It's really hard to explain to people what it's about. I hear in a lot of writing circles and sites, saying "Write what you want to read" or something like that. And this story is full of all these places, things and stories that I love. It's the kind of book I want to read.
A mix of dystopia, secret garden, the Bronte sisters work, fantasy elements, political conflict, sci fi, etc..etc. The story is simply about the effects of past events/mistakes, playing out. And how the death of one person can set fire to everything you had ever tried to keep hidden. Technically all a power game. (very hard to explain.) I'm going to try and write out a worthy synopsis...  

-Rachel

3 comments:

  1. YOU FINISHED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM THROWING CONFETTI AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I'm doing the whole crazy highlighter thing. I suggest sticky notes and colored pens as well :) Are you not going to rest the draft?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!!! I'm free!
      First things first. I want to print it out and admire how beautiful it looks on paper. I was thinking of resting it. But I think I want to read it over and take notes but not change anything until I have had some feed back, and have taken notes, then I will rewrite it. (I have no idea what I'm doing... Some one please save me...)
      Thank you for the tip. I need to go shopping for this big adventure! Haha... :p

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to reading it :)

    ReplyDelete